Thursday, May 14, 2009


James Leddy Boots in Abilene Texas made my first made-to-measure custom boots almost 10 years ago. They are gray calf vamp, Burgundy top, and variegated flame stitching. They had a two-inch heel, and a narrow round toe that I liked at that time. I did not see James Leddy during the initial measurement of my feet, he was away at a book signing, and I was measured by someone else in the shop. There was a problem with the fit when I received the boots, but after a discussion and some re-working by the shop, they fit just fine. I was pleased with those boots, and knew that I wanted more James Leddy boots.
During my second time at the shop, he was there for my next order. James remeasured my feet, and recommended that I go with a lower heel, around a 1 1/2. For some reason, I felt like I was in the presence of Elvis. All the books, magazines and praise for him, I was in awe. But he acted just like a normal person, kind to everyone. I should have asked him a bunch of questions about bootmakers and history, but I didn't. My regret. I got to meet him several times after that when I stopped in the shop. Always friendly, always welcoming.
James Leddy passed away in 2002, just right before the Bootmakers Round Up in Wichita Falls Texas. I attended his funeral, wearing my first pair of James Leddy boots. Then after that I drove to the Round Up in Wichita Falls. It was a sad weekend.
He was a great bootmaker, and one of the most friendliest people in the world. In his prime, his was one of the best ever.

No comments: