Thursday, July 9, 2009

Joe Bowman Passes Away




















While doing some Googling on bootmakers I came across the recent obituary for Joe Bowman.
I recalled several boots in the late Tyler Beard's second book, "The Art of the Boot" that were made by Bowman and DeGeorge. One pair of boots was on the cover. That was about all the info that I had for Mr. Bowman. This article indicates that he made boots while in high school in Houston TX at Roy Smith Boots, and Palace Boot Shop. He was drafted after graduation during WWII, came back and started the Bowman and DeGeorge Boot Shop in Houston. He also made saddles and carved holsters. He made boots for Roy Rogers, and probably other movie stars.
He quit the business, and developed another talent, western shooting. He was well known for that, got to meet several western stars like John Wayne, James Drury, and many more. He traveled many places performing shooting exhibititions.

A lover of all things western, a gifted bootmaker and leather craftsman, and a military hero, he leaves a great legacy.

Thanks Joe.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Sorry to hear about Joe Bowman's passing. I've heard that he made great boots, but I don't know that I have seen any of them.

I enjoy reading your weblog, and the others. I have been interested in boots for a long time, and I've worn them nearly all my life. Up until about the last year, I didn't have very many--I guess I had about a dozen pairs of Stewarts that I had accumulated since I started wearing them in 1976.

Then I started buying boots on eBay, and Craigslist, and, even though I have been passing them along to friends and family, the numbers have been building up.

I have a few pairs of Lucchese, some Tony Lama, several pairs of Christobal Romero, some Olsen-Stelzer, a couple of pairs of Stewart Romero, some Olathes, and Noconas and Justins, and quite a few more pairs Stewarts than I used to have.

Whatever else I try, I always seem to come back to the Stewarts. Some of the Romeros and Luccheses fit and feel as good as Stewarts, but none are superior in fit and comfort as compared with Stewarts.

Some of these boots have special interest. I have pair of what seem to be size 11D Olsen-Stelzer that have the name "Marion Morrison" stamped in them. As you may know, that was John Wayne's real name, and the boots are the right size to have been his. I also have a really fine old mid-50s women's Olsen-Stelzer boots. They don't fit anyone in my family, but they are really terrific boots that are worth a lot. If anyone is interested in these they can contact me at my e-mail, which is agingapes@gmail.com

One pair of Stewart Romeros is spoken for, as is a great pairs of 1950s vintage Stewart boots that are in great shape. The other SRs should probably go to someone who can wear them or display them in a collection. They are red and real, and they are spectacular.

Thanks for doing your blog. Keep it up.
Wishing you well,
Joe