Monday, August 31, 2009

The Future of Custom Bootmaking

I have been worried over the future of custom bootmaking for the last few years. It seems that the tradition of custom bootmaking being passed down from father to son, or family to family is slowly ending. Now a days it seems that if someone is interested in being a bootmaker, he or she takes a 2-3 week course , opens up a shop, and puts out their sign and starts taking orders. "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" That sounds all fine and dandy, until their first few customers are just experiements. Don't get me wrong, I am all for the American Dream of being your own boss.

There is no apprenticeship program, or not much of one, in the USA.

I have sympathy for the people who graduate from these 2-3 week classes, or the Green County Bootmaking School in Okmulgee for not having someone who will "season" them to the trade of bootmaking. But right now, I don't know of any bootmakers who can afford a novice to come in for this seasoning. It costs to have a novice work for you in the industry, not just in pay or benefits, but materials and screw-ups.

What is the answer, well I don't have one. How about you?

No comments: